UUM Repository | Universiti Utara Malaysian Institutional Repository
FAQs | Feedback | Search Tips | Sitemap

Management of the Matang mangrove and the environment


Idris, Amir (2004) Management of the Matang mangrove and the environment. In: Seminar Sumberjaya Pinggir Pantai dan Pelancongan: Isu dan Cabaran, 20-21 Disember 2004, Bukit Merah Laketown Resort, Perak. (Unpublished)

[img] PDF
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (1MB)

Abstract

The Matang Mangrove Forest Reserve (MMFR) is located in the north western coast of Peninsular Malaysia within the administrative district of Larut Matang and Krian in the State of Perak. Larut Matang won the Ministry of Primary lndustries 1996/1997 Green Award for the Best Managed Forest District in Peninsular Malaysia. The total area of MMFR excluding the major waterways is 40,466 hectares and it is the largest patch of mangrove forest in Peninsular Malaysia. Approximately 73.6% or 29,794 hectares have been classified as productive forest whilst the remaining 26.4% or 10,672 hectares are non productive forest or protective forest. The productive forest are those which are assigned for the purpose of timber production and the nonproductive forest for the purpose of bio-diversity conservation, erosion mitigation research and education, recreation, local communities requirement and settlement. MMFR fringes the Straits of Malacca forming a continuous belt lying between the latitude 4° 15° to 5° 1 ' N and longitude 100°2° to 100° 45' E. It stretches from Kuala Gula in the north to Bagan Panchor in the south measuring a distance of 52 kilometers from one end to the other. Numerous rivers and waterways forming important means of transport divide the reserves. More than 85% of MMFR are tidal swamps and being flooded almost daily. The general difference in level between the highest and the lowest tide at the time of spring tide is between 2 to 2.5 meters. The complex and fragile ecosystem of MMFR plays an important role in conserving the bio-diversity of natural flora and fauna. The major tree species found in MMFR are Bakau Minyak (Rhizophoru apiculatu) with occasional understorey of Lenggadai(Bruguiera parvjflflora) followed by Bakau Kurap(Rhizophora nzucronatu) along the river banks and in more Frequently flooded areas. MMFR has been managed for a century. This is well documented through numerous Working Plans diligently prepared to ensure maximum benefit to the communities. Since its gazettement, it has only lost 250 hectares that were excised for settlement expansion and infrastructure development. On the other hand a total of 1,498 hectares were added through soil accretion. MFFR serves as an exarnplary case of a sustainable managed mangrove forest through integrated management of both timber and non- timber resources.

Item Type: Conference or Workshop Item (Paper)
Additional Information: Dianjurkan oleh Fakulti Pengurusan Pelancongan, Hospitaliti dan Alam Sekitar, Universiti Utara Malaysia
Subjects: G Geography. Anthropology. Recreation > GE Environmental Sciences
Divisions: College of Law, Government and International Studies
Depositing User: Mrs. Norazmilah Yaakub
Date Deposited: 29 Nov 2011 03:53
Last Modified: 03 May 2017 06:37
URI: http://repo.uum.edu.my/id/eprint/3753

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item